Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml
Date: 2004-01-07 20:33:57
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 15:17:26 -0500,

> AFAICS, you're sending
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dennis_Bj=F6rklund?= <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
> which is an instance of the encoding scheme Bruno mentioned. I have
> never heard that it is only supposed to be used in Subject:
> ... certainly there are a ton of people besides you who use it in From:.
> So I think you are legal.

Yep. I thought he was using the Latin1 code for this. I double checked
the characters used in this escape sequence and they are valid to use
in an ATOM as defined by rfc 2822. So the message is legal for purposes
of email. That rfc is silent about whether the escape string should
be displayed by the client. I am not sure which one would cover that,
but apparently clients do understand it in more than just the subject
header. Older clients that don't understand that escape string will show
the above string.

> Whether your name is being displayed nicely is a whole 'nother matter.
> On my machine I see "Dennis Bj-rklund" or "Dennis Bj rklund" depending
> on which display I look at :-(. I think this is a font issue, but I
> don't have enough motivation to track it down...

Maybe on your screen it displays as whatever character F6 is in the character
set used by your display or it may be that your font doesn't isn't a Latin1
font.