Re: Replication using slony-I

From: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: abr_ora(at)yahoo(dot)com, rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, dev(at)archonet(dot)com
Subject: Re: Replication using slony-I
Date: 2008-09-29 13:23:09
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I am not getting the "New Subscription"
> option when do right click on
> > subscription (0) on the master node.
>
> It sounds like you're using pgAdmin - IIRC you need to
> have some parts
> at least of Slony installed on the machine on which pgAdmin
> is running.

Personally I prefer to use slonik, pgAdmin for slony based tasks is too unpolished to be used in my opinion, it needs a bit more work.

The whole problem with having clicky menus is that it allows you do do things without full knowledge of what's going off, and that can never be the case with slony.

For example here's a scenario using pgadmin to add a table into a set:

clicky: new replication set
clicky: add table to set
clicky: subsctribe to set
clicky: merge set

Did pgAdmin force you to wait until the subscription had completed before merging? No, and now you have a mess.