Re: tab-completion debug print

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tab-completion debug print
Date: 2018-12-14 05:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 07:43:52PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I'm not sure that this should be a run-time option.

> Given the often onerous givens of installing new software on
> production machines, I'm thinking it actually should be.

What's that have to do with it? This is a development option,
not a production option. I don't think it should be in production
builds at all, let alone be invokable via a simple command-line switch.
The notion that ordinary users will want to use it is hogwash ---
we'd be much more likely to get complaints about psql spewing unexpected
output.