Re: What default is - SET behavior

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <zdenek(dot)kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What default is - SET behavior
Date: 2006-05-17 14:54:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I'm interesting in problem "Allow commenting of variables in
>> postgresql.conf to restore them to defaults". And I need some clarify
>> of SET command behavior.

> DEFAULT in this case is session default, which might be the compiled in
> default, which can be over-ridden by postgresql.conf, or by a user user
> SET command on session start (ALTER USER SET).

More specifically, RESET and SET TO DEFAULT both have the behavior of
establishing whatever value would now prevail if you had never issued
any interactive SET in the current session. This might in fact be
different from any value that actually had prevailed earlier in the
session --- for instance if the new value comes from a postgresql.conf
entry that's been changed since you did your SET.