Re: UserLinux with MySQL

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UserLinux with MySQL
Date: 2003-12-30 08:40:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Monday 29 December 2003 21:37, Christopher Browne wrote:
> What they very clearly want to do is to discourage people from using
> the "free" version, and to convince them to use the "commercial"
> version instead. The nonavailability of LGPLed libraries is not a
> "bug;" it is a "feature" in that it pushes people to send them money.

I wouldn't read it that way. The act is same as mysql but the effects are
different,

TrollTech asks for developer licenses in lieu of support and mysql asks for
client libraries. So if your software is populer, mysql rides on popularity
of your software. Just like it happens with oracle in many cases..

I would consider the act of TrollTech to be reasonable enough. Coupled with
technical superiority of their product, I think they deserve the cost they
are charging.

Besides UserLinux is expected to be a business friendly distro. Why does it
assume that business wants all tools for free?

If I run a business and find userlinux a good model of a linux distribution
and Qt to be a good development framework, cost of few Qt licenses for my
proprietory apps. would be rather negligible investment. Besides that buys me
portability to windows with support as well. The cost goes even down then..

Linux is all about choice. And Userlinux is taking away from it by making one
on behalf on business. I don't think it will sell any big.

And we all know how much defaults matter. Isn't this really all about?

Shridhar