Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: "Keith C(dot) Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
Cc: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 20:58:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 14:31:43 -0500,
"Keith C. Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com> wrote:

> Shridhar,
>
> I tend to agree with you. I personally think the docs are very good and have
> the techical depth warranted for a product like PostgreSQL. On the other hand
> for the ad & m (advocacy and marketing) side of things. I'm betting some
> clearly labelled tutorials/guide next to the disclaimer about the the main docs
> be more of a reference would appease those who might be a bit green to a product
> of PG breadth and depth (heck I still think I'm in the category sometimes).

Even new users would be well served by skimming over the complete
documentation. I don't think it is a good idea to suggest that they
not read it.

I think you would be better off providing references to learn about RDBMS'
in general for people that don't have that background and pointing out
some of the Postgres quirks that are likely to trip up people.