Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: "Keith C(dot) Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 19:31:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Quoting Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>:

> On Monday 29 December 2003 12:47, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com> writes:
> > > That is right. but that fact remains that postgresql documentation is
> > > just sufficient. If you read the manual and follow it religously to
> comma
> > > and fullstop, it tells you everythings. But it certainly isn't a place
> > > where you can glance over it and get hang of it.
> >
> > This is surely true, and I've not seen anyone denying it. The people
>
> Well, for newbies to postgresql, let's state this fact upfront and not make
> them discover it..:-)
>
> > who are doing development are, um, not strong at documentation (I
> > include myself here). What we need are some folks to step up and
> > improve the documentation --- and then maintain it in the face of future
> > changes. Any volunteers out there? This is an open-source project
> > after all, and that means "scratch your own itch" among other things...
>
> If you ask me, let's not do that. Not at least on a grand scale. Isolated
> areas are OK on case by case basis..
>
> I regualrly use development build documentation from
> developers.postgresql.org
> and I have seen the documentation in source code. In my view, postgresql
> developers do document it very clearly whenever required.
>
> If we dilute the documentation too much, that will make things simpler
> initially but that will simply create a maintainance nightmare as one has to
>
> maintain much larger amount of documentation.
>
> And once you get used to precise style of postgresql documentation, going
> back
> to anything else is a pain. ( MSDN.. I scream at nights.... but I digress).
>
> IMO documentation of postgresql is fine overall. What we need to do is.
>
> 1. State upfront that this is not handholding.
>
> It will make lots of things easier and offload work of expanding documents
> given limited human resources working on the project. A disclaimer is far
> easier to maintain than a manual..:-)
>
> And it will prepare anybody for upcoming hardships..:-)
>
> 2. Document and reuse it.
>
> Personally I would like to see responses on general and oter such list as
> URLs. If we answer it repeatedly, let's document it and point the people to
> them. Let them dig around 3-4 URLs around it and they will have islands of
> enlightenments. Over the period, these island will merge in a great
> landscape..:-)
>
> Just a thought..
>
> Shridhar
>
> P.S. If somebody thinks I can not imagine how a newbie feels, I will agree.
> But looking back, dumbing down anything is not good in long term..an
> experience that is

Shridhar,

I tend to agree with you. I personally think the docs are very good and have
the techical depth warranted for a product like PostgreSQL. On the other hand
for the ad & m (advocacy and marketing) side of things. I'm betting some
clearly labelled tutorials/guide next to the disclaimer about the the main docs
be more of a reference would appease those who might be a bit green to a product
of PG breadth and depth (heck I still think I'm in the category sometimes).

'bout two weeks ago there was another thread where certificating/training et al
were discussed and one of the things that I had mentioned was that in that
regard, we should probably have more tutorial/guide based on real world
scenarios available on techdocs. Although I don't think I qualified to write
for the main docs, I definitely can contribute to the techdocs in the manner I
just mentioned.

Matter a fact, I finally finish my first one "Using PostgreSQL for Domino 6
RDBMS Backends". I'm doing the final read now so hopefully I can get it over to
Robert for posting.

Perhaps the "newer" folks on the list could tell us what type of guides they
want to see. I'm sure someone has a wish list somewhere.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: