Re: Error with returning SETOF Record

From: A E <cooljoint(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error with returning SETOF Record
Date: 2003-12-27 21:57:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I guess the question I have then is how do I return data from a select statement using the record datatype? This is only a test function I was trying to get info from, but my application is based on passing the table name to the function dynamically. How do I do this? The documentation is sketchy when it comes to the record datatype.

TIA
Alex

A E writes:
> CREATE FUNCTION tester(varchar) RETURNS SETOF record as'
> DECLARE
> ft record;
> begin
> FOR ft IN SELECT * FROM visaapplicants LOOP
> RETURN NEXT ft;
> END LOOP;
> return null;
> end;'
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

> select * from tester('a') as (c varchar);

> ERROR: wrong record type supplied in RETURN NEXT
> CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "tester" line 6 at return next

That's pretty much what I'd expect, unless table visaapplicants contains
only a single varchar column. The example works fine for me if I define
visaapplicants that way.

joining column's datatypes do not match