Error with returning SETOF Record

From: A E <cooljoint(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error with returning SETOF Record
Date: 2003-12-27 19:48:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was wondering if a solution was ever found to the error: "wrong record type supplied in RETURN NEXT" when executing a function that returns the Record datatype? I have seen a couple of previous post from Tom Lane and others, but no real resolution.

I am attempting to execute this code and I get that error:

<code>
CREATE FUNCTION tester(varchar) RETURNS SETOF record as'
DECLARE
ft record;
begin
FOR ft IN SELECT * FROM visaapplicants LOOP
RETURN NEXT ft;
END LOOP;
return null;
end;'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

<calling query>
select * from tester('a') as (c varchar);

<exact error>
ERROR: wrong record type supplied in RETURN NEXT
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "tester" line 6 at return next

It was just a simple test statement because a larger one is producing the same error, and when I change return next to return it does not return any data even though there are 500 records.

TIA

Alex Erwin