Re: between

From: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: merlyn(at)stonehenge(dot)com (Randal L(dot) Schwartz)
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: between
Date: 2003-12-26 23:35:38
Lists: pgsql-general

El Vie 26 Dic 2003 20:10, Randal L. Schwartz escribió:

> Martin> A link to the URL above in the SELECT page?
>
> Uh, do you also want a link to "installing PostgreSQL" there too?
> After all, you have to install Pg before you can use the SELECT
> operator.

Please, don't get me wrong, I have read great part on the PG manuals already,
and have mad lots of Solaris instalation in times of the early PG 7.0, when
there was not much experience on this OS, and have been trying to make a 64
bit build on Linux/SPARC.

Do you think I would have been able to do this without reading "installing
PostgreSQL"? :-)

> It's not any more related to SELECT than it is anything else. It's a
> part of an expression. Expressions are used many places and described
> one place. That's the nature of documentation.
>
> Maybe I'm sounding grouchy, but at some point, you do the common sense
> thing.

I personaly find this incomplete:

==================>CUT FROM THE SELECT MANUAL<===========================
WHERE Clause

The optional WHERE condition has the general form:

WHERE boolean_expr

boolean_expr can consist of any expression which evaluates to a Boolean value.
In many cases, this expression will be:

expr cond_op expr

or

log_op expr

where cond_op can be one of: =, <, <=, >, >= or <>, a conditional operator
like ALL, ANY, IN, LIKE, or a locally defined operator, and log_op can be one
of: AND, OR, NOT. SELECT will ignore all rows for which the WHERE condition
does not return TRUE.

Now in this last paragraph there are some comparision operators. How awful
could it be to just add the word "BETWEEN" there? I know the BETWEEN sintax,
but as I didn't see it there I thought, wrongly, that it wasn't supported.

Maybe it's that I have the bad habit of just reading the "SQL Commands" while
I work, and having a very volatile memory. :-)

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués | mmarques(at)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar