Re: windows distribution

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: windows distribution
Date: 2003-12-23 02:47:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 22 December 2003 08:16 am, Keith C. Perry wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the cygwin environment but is there something about
> that is turning off users to using it to run PG?
>
> It seems to me we should be seeing *more* ports about how PG is performing
> on cygwin instead of questions about a native port- especially from new
> users.

The problem is not so much Cygwin as the platform it runs on. It is Unix
emulation on Windows and therefore is only as stable as the version of
Windows you are using. I have run Postgres using Cygwin on various Win9x
versions. The Cygwin installer makes the process easy to do. The problem is
that it doesn't take much to load down the system. Also, given the frequency
with which Win9X versions crash you spend alot of time waiting for the
database to come up again. All in all it was more productive to move Postgres
to a dedicated Linux server.
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net