dblink_connect fails

From: venkat j <venkatech(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dblink_connect fails
Date: 2003-12-18 12:21:00
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hello All
Im trying to use dblink set of functions in PostGreSql 7.3.4. My environment is WinNT and cygwin. I try to connect to a different database using dblink_connect. In my pl/pgsql statement

perform dblink_connect(\'dbname=generic\');

When i call this function, PostGreSql throws the following error:

ERROR: dblink_connect: connection error: could not send startup packet: Transport endpoint is not connected

Im calling the above function from a Java program.

But i tried out a sample function that works fine! This sample function works fine from psql prompt and from a java program.
Can anybody help in understanding this error better?

Thanks in advance.