Re: 7.4 include file conflict

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, aspeitia(at)sells(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 include file conflict
Date: 2003-12-17 15:27:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 07:00:25PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Are you saying some programs will look in /usr/include before looking in
> > -I specified directories, and that is the whole problem? If so, that is
> > 100% wrong and we don't have to fix our files to workaround this.
>
> No I meant to say that you will always get our file and not the one in
> /usr/include. That means you must not specify our -I option if you need
> the file in /usr/include. Since this file may be needed together with
> pgsql The best way seems to be moving just the compat headers IMO.

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. Once you add -I, there is no way to
access the /usr/include files matching names that are also in the -I
path. You could use #include "/usr/include/xxx.h", but no one does
that, and I can imagine including a system include that itself wants to
include one of those /usr/include files rather than the pgsql file.

Are you suggesting moving the ecpg files into pgsql/include/ecpg? Do we
know that no one using ecpg is going to be including a /usr/include file
that needs /usr/include/xxx.h?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us