Re: Possible bug in ECPGlib thread-safety (Postgres

From: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Demetres Pantermalis <dpant(at)intracom(dot)gr>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible bug in ECPGlib thread-safety (Postgres
Date: 2003-12-16 01:23:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:08 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have updated the 7.4.X does and CVS head docs to mention that ecpg SET
> CONNECTION is not thread-aware, and I have added this to the ecpg TODO:
>
> o Make SET CONNECTION thread-aware

One thing that concerns me: I doubt this is supported in other database
systems... people who relied on this feature in ECPG would likely encounter
threading bugs if they port their code to other DBs. And threading bugs can
be nasty to find. Does anyone know how other DBs handle this issue?

I thinks it's a worthy feature, but perhaps the pre-compiler should warn
people that they are relying on non-standard behaviour?

Philip.