Re: Requirements feedback for jobs.postgresql.org.

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: francisco(at)natserv(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Requirements feedback for jobs.postgresql.org.
Date: 2003-12-16 16:53:10
Lists: pgsql-www

Francisco,

> Wouldn't it be better to have the resumes on the service and to just have
> prospective employees be able to have multiple resumes? This way when
> there is an application they can tell the system which resume to point to
> for that particular application.

But you've missed two important points I addressed in my earlier e-mails:

1) We (my team) does not want to code that functionality. It would expand the
scope of the project by at least 75% and we're just not interested. If you
want to add that to what we contribute, you are welcome to do that later.

2) Storing resumes, employee profiles, etc., will have significantly greater
storage and security requirements than the storage of job listings, and these
issues will have to be addressed. Using our spec, they can be
ignored/postponed.

>If you EVER send attachments to
> prospective employers what will happen if someone fakes an email as coming
> from you and sends a trojan or a virus?

Mmmm... yeah, we'd better put in a filter to limit the MIME encoding and
extensions of resume attachements to DOC, PDF, WPD, TXT & SXW.

> I have never seen categories in the sense you are talking about. My
> experience is with Hotjobs, Monster and a few others. They have categories
> like IT, programmer, etc..

Precisely. And just becuase you don't use them doesn't mean that others do
not.

> > Database Administrator (DBA), Software Development, Performance Tuning,
> > PostgreSQL Support, General System Administrator, Training, and Other.
>
> Not a bad list, but the system should be flexible so the administrators
> can add.

Maybe. I can see adding a couple new categories after the system is launched
and we get feedback from the users. Otherwise, I think the categories
should be rather inflexible; otherwise we risk ending up with 80 categories,
50% of which have only one job in them.

> So people are going to attach or cut/paste their resumes?
> Sounds cumbersome.

Well, if you don't like it, you're welcome to ready your PHP skills. After
you draft a spec to deal with the security issues raised by online storage of
resumes ....

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions