Skip dups on INSERT instead of generating an error ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Skip dups on INSERT instead of generating an error ...
Date: 2003-12-12 20:53:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

I need to be able to run an INSERT INTO / SELECT FROM UNION which combines
two tables into one ... *but* ... the INTO table has a primary key on the
first column, so if the result of the UNION generates dups, by default, of
course, it will generate errors ... what I'd like is to have it so that it
just skips over those records.

First thought would be to write a quite plpgsql function that would do a
SELECT first, to see if the value already exists, and if not, then do the
INSERT ... but am wondering if maybe there is a cleaner way that I'm not
thinking of?

----