Re: improve routine vacuuming docs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improve routine vacuuming docs
Date: 2003-12-11 23:41:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

Neil Conway wrote:
> This patch makes some improvements and adds some details to the
> documentation on routine database maintenance activities. Any
> comments on the new text would be appreciated.

It's kind of hard to see what you have really changed. Can you provide
a summary?

> I also corrected a bunch of instances of SGML usage. One of these
> days I'll get around to writing a style guide for the PostgreSQL SGML
> docs...

Please do. But note that the first thing I'd add to such a document
would be not to write things like that:

You should <command>VACUUM</command> your database every day.

Instead, either write

You should vacuum your database every day.

or

You should run the command <command>VACUUM</command> in your
database every day.

If you need a verb, write a verb; don't abuse nouns.