Re: PostgreSQL Training

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Amy Young <Amy_Young(at)hilton(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Training
Date: 2003-12-10 21:12:34
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Amy,

As a user from a non-techie background, I feel your
pain. In fact, it was limitations in MS Access that
got me using PostgreSQL.

You are seeing one of the downsides of open source
software, which is that learning is self driven to a
large extent. But you can benefit from the fact that
PostgreSQL is highly standards-compliant; any generic
course or materials on SQL or relational databases
will be applicable.

Other features of PostgreSQL have their equivalents
elsewhere. For example, the procedural SQL language
pl/pgsql was modeled on Oracle pl/sql. While pl/pgsql
does not implement many of the features of the Oracle
equivalent, any basic introductory materials on Oracle
pl/sql will get you off to a flying start with
pl/pgsql.

Most popular programming languages have some sort of
interface available, so those languages can be used to
create applications that use PostgreSQL. In fact, MS
Access works well as a front end for PostgreSQL, using
ODBC. Just go to
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc to find
what you need to get started. And you can easily
migrate your Access database to PostgreSQL using the
Database Migration Wizard that comes with PGAdminII:
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2/pgadmin2.php

So far as installing and administering PostgreSQL,
your best shot is to use a package. Different types
of packages are available, depending on which
operating system you are using. The packages are set
up to automatically handle most of the installation
and setup for you, with little driving necessary.
That will get you off and running with the least
effort. You will find that default configurations
will be plenty for someone migrating from MS Access:
you can leave the fine points for later.

In other words, don't be put off by the lack of
courses. There are plenty of materials available;
besides the official documentation, there are plenty
of other helpful guides and howtos (look for links on
http://www.postgresql.org), there are a number of good
books, the mailing list archives are full of
searchable discussions of just about any problem you
might encounter, and let's not forget the friendly and
helpful people on these lists!

Comments on other choices: commercial choices will
lead you to much expense, complexity of
administration, and vendor lock in. MySQL: well, just
search the mailing lists for much discussion of the
many shortcomings of that product when it comes to
handling mission critical data.

So, by all means give PostgreSQL at try. It's not as
hard as it looks, and you won't regret it.

HTH,
Jeff