Re: Solaris Performance (Again)

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solaris Performance (Again)
Date: 2003-12-10 13:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:56:38 +1300
Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:

> The major performance killer appeared to be mounting the filesystem
> with the logging option. The next most significant seemed to be the
> choice of sync_method for Pg - the default (open_datasync), which we
> initially thought should be the best - appears noticeably slower than
> fdatasync.

Some interesting stuff, I'll have to play with it. Currently I'm pleased
with my solaris performance.

What version of PG?

If it is before 7.4 PG compiles with _NO_ optimization by default and
was a huge part of the slowness of PG on solaris.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/