Re: email addreses on postgresql.org

From: Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Paul Ganainm <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: email addreses on postgresql.org
Date: 2003-12-05 13:40:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 12:59:19PM -0000, Paul Ganainm wrote:

> devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org says...
>
> > Instead, what about replacing @ sign with " at " ?
>
> I think that the harvesters of email addresses are well beyond that at
> this stage - they certainly have my email address and look at the way
> I've mangled it in my .sig.
>
> I have incredible amounts of spam - I'm at a loss as to what to do!

Have you tried any of the bayesian filters? I have two watching this account
(bogofilter and spamassasin), and since september 24 I have 19800 valid
messages and 11940 spam messages. There have been less than 20 false negatives
(they are so rare that I haven't keep track of them) and 2 false positives:
one from Amazon.com and the other from p22 type foundy, both of which
I'm subscribed to, both of which really look a lot like spam :-)

(In fact I have a third filter, home-made bayesian, but the incoming stream
has already been cleaned up by the other two, so it doesn't catch anything -
it was catching a very good percentage before the other two were installed).

Sounds impressive, doesn't it? I am very well impressed.

HTH,

"Los dioses no protegen a los insensatos. stos reciben proteccin de
otros insensatos mejor dotados" (Luis Wu, Mundo Anillo)