Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables,

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables,
Date: 2003-12-04 12:03:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > block_size - int
> > Shows size of a disk block
> > integer_datetimes - bool
> > Datetimes are integer based
> > max_function_args - int
> > Shows the maximum number of function arguments
> > max_identifier_length - int
> > Shows the maximum identifier length
> > max_index_keys - int
> > Shows the maximum number of index keys
> >
> > The main open question at this point is the name for the "block_size"
> > variable. Peter favors "block_size", Bruce favors "page_size", Tom
> > hasn't taken a position on that specific issue. Does anyone have and
> > opinion on the variable name, or any general comments before I commit this?
>
> PAGE_SIZE generally refers to memory allocations, no?
>
> I'd go with block_size ...

True, page size usually references virtual memory pages, so it is
related to virtual memory mapping. Block size is much more related to
on-disk storage, true. The only reason I was leaning toward page is
that it is possible to confuse disk block (512 bytes) with a PostgreSQL
block (8k), but maybe that is not relivant.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us