Re: 7.4 and Pygresql

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)PyGreSQL(dot)org>
To: Gerhard Häring <lists(at)ghaering(dot)de>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: award-postgresql(at)dominionsciences(dot)com
Subject: Re: 7.4 and Pygresql
Date: 2003-12-04 11:41:03
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On December 4, 2003 03:12 am, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Arthur Ward wrote:
> > IMO,
> > this is quite an abominable situation for Python support;
>
> If you find PyGreSQL badly supported, you can use pyPgSQL or psycopg, which
> were founded for this reason, among others. PyGreSQL's state was the reason
> I hopped on board of the pyPgSQL development team two years ago.
>
> > it shouldn't have been pulled from the Postgres source tree if that
> > really was the only source for a current, usable version of the
> > interface.
>
> I suppose the GBorg project should be the definite place of the latest
> sources now.
>
> Also, PyGreSQL and PoPy (yet another Python adapter for PostgreSQL which
> seemed pretty badly supported to me) announced a merge of their projects a
> few months ago on DB-SIG (the Python database list). My personal opinion is
> that there's nothing worth keeping from the PyGreSQL codebase, and if you
> want a supported PostgreSQL adapter, you should really switch to pyPgSQL or
> psycopg.

You know, I expect that sort of FUD from commercial enterprises that have
something to gain by switching people to their product. I am especially
disapointed to see this from you, Gerhard, after the contributions that you
have made to PygreSQL in the past.

By the way, the main reason that we moved PyGreSQL out of the main source tree
was that we could not add PyGreSQL developers to the tree without getting
them full access to the PostgreSQL tree. This move, which was fully
supported by the rest of the PostgreSQL team, was made to allow PoPy
developers in particular to have direct CVS access to the PyGreSQL tree so
that we could try to de-splinter the PostgreSQL/Python community. Given your
support in the past you would also have been welcome as a member of that
team, something I was not previously able to offer. Even so, I have always
folded your patches in. You are even mentioned on the web site as a
contributor to the 3.2 release.

PyGreSQL is far from dead. There will soon be a new web site and we will be
putting out a new version soon. Meanwhile, the CVS repository is publicly
available and the current version works quite well with the current version
of PostgreSQL. Don't write us off just yet.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
PyGreSQL Development Group