Re: initdb should create a warning message [was Re:

From: Tilo Schwarz <mail(at)tilo-schwarz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb should create a warning message [was Re:
Date: 2003-12-01 17:56:46
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark writes:
> Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > Then it needs to be stated very prominently. But the place to put a
> > sign saying "Dangerous cliff edge" is beside the path that leads along
> > it.Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, p
>
> The only way to make this prominent would be a file with the *name* "THIS
> DIRECTORY CONTAINS CRITICAL DATA". Not a "README" with that message inside.

That's exacly what I did, after some "root" came along and moved my pgdata
away while postmaster was running. The data was not that important in that
case, but nevertheless I put a file with a name like

NEVER_MOVE_THIS_DIRECTORY_WHILE_POSTMASTER_PROCESS_IS_RUNNING.txt

in pgdata and wrote a few lines in that file, how to shutdown postmaster
properly.

But renaming pgdata to something like that would be even better and could be
done alrealy (if I'm right).

Regards,

Tilo