Re: Call from Info World

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-30 17:08:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:49:50AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > The _main_ product of Oracle is a database server --- the main product
> > > of Windows is not a window manager.
> >
> > It isn't? The main product of Microsoft isn't a window manager, but
> > Windows is one of their products ... IE is a seperate product, that is
> > bundled with Windows, but, then again, Konqueror is a seperate product
> > bundled with KDE ...
>
> Windows is an operating system and window manager. For KDE, Unix is the
> operating system.

KDE is not a window manager. In fact, the window manager is just a part
of KDE, and a very small part. KDE is a whole platform for application
development, and a set of libraries, and a set of applications. KDE is
equivalent to a part of Windows -- the whole GUI of Windows and the
part of the SDK probably (unless you also want to involve GCC and the
glibc, etc).

Another part of Windows is the file and print server. That is
equivalent to Samba, which was mentioned in this thread earlier.

I think in OSS the separation between the various parts is much clearer:
one product, and one project, to do one thing. This is not true for the
Windows family of products, or Java for instance (which is several
things: a language specification, a class library, a compiler, ...)

But the whole discussion is pointless anyway, isn't it?

La web junta la gente porque no importa que clase de mutante sexual seas,
tienes millones de posibles parejas. Pon "buscar gente que tengan sexo con
ciervos incendiánse", y el computador dirá "especifique el tipo de ciervo"
(Jason Alexander)