Error registering pg as a Windows Service

From: <ralph(dot)rotondo(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error registering pg as a Windows Service
Date: 2003-11-30 16:17:58
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I am trying to get Postgres to work on my Windows ME machine and have completely installed cygwin, (including cygipc realizing it comes installed now). The Postgresql book I am reading from,(Douglas & Douglas) instructs the following.

$ ipc-daemon --install-as-service
$ cygrunsrv \
--install PostgreSQL \
--path /usr/bin/postmaster \
--args "-D /usr/local/pgdata" \
--dep ipc-daemon \
--password bovine \
--termsig INT \
--shutdown

This returned several different errors and I altered the command to reflect the newer version of ipc-daemon, (ipc-daemon2.exe):

$ ipc-daemon2--install-as-service
$ cygrunsrv \
--install PostgreSQL \
--path /usr/bin/postmaster \
--args "-D /usr/local/pgdata" \
--dep ipc-daemon2\
--password bovine \
--termsig INT \
--shutdown

The error I can't seem to get beyond is:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a sevice: OpenSCManager: Win32 error 120: This function is not supported on this system.

Now, I have searched the internet and postgresql.org and found some signs of others having the same problems configuring a windows service with Windows-ME, although not only with postgres but other packages as well,(sshd etc.).

I suspect that the Windows-ME OS registers services a little differently that older OS's and that cygrunsrv is trying to register the service using an unimplemented function that doesn't exist in Windows-ME. That's about all I can say at this time.

Do I use another computer with another OS, (I'm guessing Windows 98), or is there a missing argument in my call to cygrunsrv that I need to enable postgres to become a service on Windows-ME. Thank you in advance for help anyone might be able to lend me.

Ralph