Re: Call from Info World

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-30 10:14:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > One of the problems with using KDE or Samba is that there isn't
> > well-known commercial that has a similar function for comparison.
>
> Windows

Just to elaborate for Bruce ... Samba is an OSS alternative for
MicroSoft's Domain Controller that runs under Unix ... I've used it for >7
years now in various ways, but the big thing has always been as a means to
all Windows users the ability to 'mount' their user directories fro a Unix
box to their local Windows ... allows for both file and printer sharing,
as well as can be configured to act as a Primary Domain Controller in lieu
of soemthing like NT or Windows2000 ...