Re: Postgres: MS Access and Tomcat

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: mohan(at)physics(dot)gmu(dot)edu, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres: MS Access and Tomcat
Date: 2003-11-26 17:27:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 16:20, mohan(at)physics(dot)gmu(dot)edu wrote:
> Hi All
> I am using postgres database. Users of the DB include Web users thro tomcat
> and internal user thr'o MS Access. The problem is the users of Access
> sometimes do not close these connections and postgres fails saying too
> many connections for the web users. Is there a way i can resolve this by
> uncommenting the #Max_connections=32 in the postgresql.conf. What are the
> effects of uncommenting this part in postgresql.conf. Do i need to make
> any more changes when uncomment the Max_connections=32 in the
> postgresql.conf file

You can set max_connections higher, and unless your shared-buffer settings are
very low that should be fine.

Where you may encounter problems is if the Access users have open transactions
which can end up blocking other clients. I seem to recall a timeout option in
the ODBC manager that should disconnect them after a certain time.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd