Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check

From: ow <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check
Date: 2003-11-26 17:09:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Quite honestly, I think they should check their foreign keys.

Generally speaking, I agree. The problem is that verification of FK
constraint(s) may take too long, depending on the size of the db and other
conditions. In my case, on test data, it takes about 1 hour to create tables
and copy the data, then about 40 min to create indexes, then 4.5 hours to
create one (1) FK constraint. In production, we'll have 10-100x more data than
we have for testing.
If we have a problem in production, the time necessary to restore the db is
simply going to kill us.

> People might be more interested in debating this topic with you if we
> hadn't discussed it at length just a couple months back. There wasn't
> consensus then that we had to offer an escape hatch, and you've not
> offered any argument that wasn't made before.

I'm simply presenting a problem for which I currently do not see any solution
(it's very important for us to be able to restore db within a reasonable amount
of time). If there's no solution and none is planned, then we cannot use pgsql,
can we?

Thanks