Re: Call from Info World

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-21 05:10:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> > > Hmm... I don't see amanda, openacs, or ltsp all that visible to the
> > > greater tech (ie. commercially driven) community, and Perl and Python
> > > aren't really the same; there not a piece of software like postgresql.
>
> So? They are open source projects. Linux isn't a piece of software like us
> either.

Linux isn't a good example because you can't just run the Linux kernel
alone --- you need applications and stuff and that isn't part of Linux
proper and is added by companies or other organizations, and Linux is
gatekeeper, which we don't do.

> > Yea, I said Apache didn't fit the list, but I was thinking of Sendmail
> > at the time, which is controlled by Sendmail, Inc. (Talk about
> > confusing with PostgreSQL, Inc. Yuck.)
> >
> > Anyway, Apache might be closest.
>
> No, Apache is very dominated by IBM, at least they were a year ago ... I've
> heard lots of bitching about it from their mailing lists and nasty politics.

Oh, great, there goes that good example. Are we the only big
open-source project that isn't controlled by corporations?

> Other projects that I'mm pretty sure aren't corporate-run: Samba, Abiword,
> Gnucash, Webmin, OpenGroupware, Hordemail.

And who has heard of those? NO ONE! Samba, maybe, but not really
outside open-source circles.

> I believe that KDE is rather dominated by SuSE these days, but I could be
> wrong.

Even KDE isn't known outside open source.

We might be the first. What is wrong with us that no corporation wants
to control us. Even Great Bridge didn't control us when they were
around.

This is strange. I am now seeing how unique we are.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us