Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror
Date: 2003-11-19 16:46:56
Lists: pgsql-www

Michael,

> packages available at entropy.ch). I'm pretty happy about it. And I'm
> looking forward to installing PostgreSQL 7.4 from source in the near
> future. Thank you for listening, or at least remaining silent as you
> roll your eyes :)

Congratulations! Since I compiled my first from-source program in 1999 (which
was, I think, PostgreSQL), I understand the mental challenge of making the
leap to source code. Plus compiling KDE with GCC on a Mac is no picnic,
either -- you've initiated yourself into the world of source code by jumping
in with both feet. PostgreSQL will be easier ....

> But, now that I've got Konqueror (3.1.2, running in KDE 3.1.2)up and
> running, I have a better chance to see what you've been seeing, Josh.
> And unfortunately, I can't seem to reproduce the same things.

Hmmm .... probably they occur only on 3.0.x, which means that we can ignore
them. Linux people are used to being told to upgrade.

> One thing I was kind of surprised with in Konqueror was that the
> minimum font size on my installation defaults to 7px, which is pretty
> small. Is this the same on your installation, Josh?

I don't know; it's been too long since I had default settings. But I suspect
so.

> > 1) *All* elements of the existing site must be translatable through
> > Andreas' new framework. Some are php/html static pages, some are
> > php/html dynamic pages and some are fully dynamic.

Yes. And I'd still like to see the admin interface for translation and run
it by our team of volunteer translators.

> By the way, congratulations on getting the presskits and pages up! From
> the flurry of mail earlier this week, you guys put together a lot of
> stuff in a short time.

Well .... the stuff has been developing for weeks ... translating all of the
releases and press kits took a month, I think. But since our sites have no
way to save stuff to be posted later, we had to put everything up in a hurry
last night.

Which lead to some hellish problems with encodings, something to consider for
multi-lingualism.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions