Re: Of Conventions: PHPCon & Comdex

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Of Conventions: PHPCon & Comdex
Date: 2003-11-13 05:06:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've been meaning to post this for a while and have been distracted.
>
> PHPCON West was great. We had a staffed table for both days, and about 1/2
> of the attendees stopped to talk to us. Both PostgreSQL sessions were
> well-attended and well-received. We should definitely make regular
> attendence at PHPCon a plan; is there anyone here who could lead sessions at
> PHPCon East?
>
> Bruce, how was PHPCon Worldwide in Frankfurt?

Well, I guess I have been supressing my report because I wasn't sure how
to handle it, but since you ask, here it is.

Basically, the hotel was in the middle of an industrial park near
Frankfurt airport, so you really couldn't go out and walk around in the
town. That was a shame, though I was warned about it. We did go to
Frankfurt during one afternoon, and that was nice.

I had two 3-hour tutorials. I had about 20 at the first, and about 10
at the second. I didn't have any talks on the non-tutorial days, though
there were tons of MySQL talks.

I spent time with a number of folks at the event. One disurbing thing,
without going into deals, is that the PHP development community seems to
have every disfunction I can think of. That upset me because I assumed
open source development communities were just all big, happy places, but
the reality I now know is quite different. That scared me and I
realized it could happen to PostgreSQL one day if we are not diligent.
Sobering.

I guess I sort of felt like an outsider at the event, and that was
unusual. I did have fun with a few of the guys, though.

Strange report, huh?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us