Re: Reducing duplicated business rules

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing duplicated business rules
Date: 2003-11-06 19:20:38
Lists: pgsql-php

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 01:16:54 +0900,
Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com> wrote:

> what you've written, I'm guessing this is exactly it. Using JavaScript
> allows the client—rather than the server—do the checking. It seems to
> me you'd pay an initial hit (downloading more into the client), but you
> don't have to keep using the server to process/validate/check the data.
> Am I close?

The server still has to do the validity checking. Often pages set up
this way don't work when javascript isn't available. What you save
are round trips when the data is messed up. That may or may not be
better depending on how large the form is wtih and without javascript,
what the rate of mistakes is, what the available bandwidth is and
how loaded the server is.