Re: [HACKERS] Schema boggle...

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Chris Bowlby <excalibur(at)hub(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Schema boggle...
Date: 2003-11-06 05:01:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Chris,

> Monolithic tables have their uses, I don't and wont contest that, however
> we've been using a monolithic structure in our current AMS distribution and
<snip>
> dataset. That and I'm more confident working on a 3D level, versus 2D, the
> schema levels introduce the third dimension into my structure and simplify
> visualizing how I want things to work.

TMI! TMI! Ok, I believe that it works for you. You've made a tradeoff,
though, and some operations that were simple in the old monolithic structure
will now be more difficult -- however worthwhile the overall tradeoff may be.

> resulting query as he suggested, I just need to learn plpgsql programming
> so that I can work out all of the details (Tom, I might bug you about that
> once in a while).

Just go ahead and post your PL/pgSQL questions to the list. There are people
on this list who've written thousands of lines of PL/pgSQL ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions