Re: ODBC DSN Connections

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC DSN Connections
Date: 2003-11-03 19:56:48
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
wrote:

> Just one quick note, though: My client will be
> implemented with MS Access 2000, and I had a lot of
> problems with permissions and DSN-less connection.
> Permissions simply do not work, at least for me,
> unless I use a good old DSN, with a username and a
> password inside. I use a lot of "Pass-through
> queries" in Access, which are generated dynamically,
> in order to pass parameters to Postgresql, and
> process the results inside a report.

There's nothing to stop you from making a connection
at the time you do your pass-through query, in the
same code. But you would need to hard-code your
connection parameters, or prompt the user for them;
either approach has its drawbacks. Or you could read
the parameters from another location, but that brings
you right back to your DSN idea...

But I agree with you in general, I like the
simplification that DSNs allow. Although I am not
supporting any large number of client installations.