Access, ODBC and "other users"

From: Michelle Murrain <tech(at)murrain(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Access, ODBC and "other users"
Date: 2003-11-04 00:11:12
Lists: pgsql-odbc

We have an interesting problem with Access and ODBC. We have a fairly
complex application, all tables and such are on Postgres. 1/2 the
application is an Access front end (for nice reporting and some data
entry) and 1/2 of the application is a web front end (for "public"
access to some of the data, and interfaces for some remote
administration. There is an overnight script that runs that updates a
couple of tables (some detailed calculations that just take too long to
do on the fly). After this script runs, Access then doesn't let anyone
update the table, because "another user has modified the data".

However, as far as pg is concerned the same exact user has changed data,
the user used in the ODBC driver connection is the same user that's used
both on the web end, and in the overnight script.

Is there a way to tell Access to ignore this? Are there ways around this
that anyone can think of, short of 1) relinking the table every morning
or 2) creating a new table just for the calculation results?

--
.Michelle

AIM:pearlbear0 ICQ:129250575

"Our capacity to make peace with another person and with the world
depends very much on our capacity to make peace with ourselves." -- Thich Nhat Hanh