defaults on updates

From: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: defaults on updates
Date: 2003-11-01 13:49:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
I'm trying to make some sort of function, rule, trigger, or what ever that
would be capable of modifing my table on an update.

Basically, I have 5 fields, one being a PK (SERIAL), 3 with information, and
the last one a timestamp field that will show the last time the register was
modified (tmodif which has a DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP).

Now, eveytime someone modifys any, or all of the 3 information fields, I want
the tmodif field of that register to be set to now(). I tried with rules, but
just didn't work (obviously, and not so), even with INSTEAD.

The only way I see of doing it is through a view/rule, but I would leave that
as the last resource.

Any ideas?

--
10:43:01 up 10 days, 18:05, 4 users, load average: 0.95, 0.44, 0.35
Martín Marqués | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'