Re: performance problem - 10.000 databases

From: Jamie Lawrence <postgres(at)jal(dot)org>
To: Matt Clark <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
Cc: Marek Florianczyk <franki(at)tpi(dot)pl>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance problem - 10.000 databases
Date: 2003-10-31 12:54:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Matt Clark wrote:

> I was more thinking that it might be possible to manage the security at a different level than the DB.

We do this with users and permissions.

Each virtual host has an apache config include specifying a db user,
pass (and database, although most of them use the same one).
Permissions on the database tables are set so that a given vhost can
only access their own data.

Our setup is mod_perl. Don't know how one would go about doing this with
PHP, but I imagine it has some mechanism for per-vhost variables or
similar.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence jal(at)jal(dot)org
"Remember, half-measures can be very effective if all you deal with are