Re: 7.4 compatibility question

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 compatibility question
Date: 2003-10-30 18:22:34
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Bug tracking systems have the same limitation as incremental release
> > notes --- youi have to do a lot of piecemeal work to get complete output
> > at the end, rather than doing it more efficiently in one batch.
> >
> > Most people working on PostgreSQL are volunteers, and one of my primary
> > jobs is to make it easy for them --- if it takes me a week to get the
> > release notes together --- so be it --- I am making it easier for
> > others.
>
> That is not the scalable community approach that has been successful in
> other areas of development. You might as well say, "Just tell me all the
> features you need and I'll implement them." Now *that* would make it easy
> for other people.

If I can do some cleanup work that enables five other people to work an
hour, my time is well spent. While we like people to indent their code,
(and sometimes we indent it after submission) we go through an indent it
all at once before the release. I see the release notes as more of a
housekeeping service, more efficiently done in one big batch.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us