Re: Need some help getting started

From: Dan <topdowndan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need some help getting started
Date: 2003-10-28 18:36:49
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

--- Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Please keep you replies on-list.

Since you're the one who's maintaining the README, I
sent my question to you alone. Otherwise, if I was
wrong about the editrights thing, there would be
confusing/bogus info in the mail archive. That's
important to me as a newbie. I should have mentioned
that in the last message. I think you probably didn't
get my other email with the revised README attachment.
This would have made more sense in that context.

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:40:47PM -0800, Dan wrote:
> > One more thing.. I don't know if "editrights" was
> installed when I
> > downloaded and installed ntrights. If so, there
> should be a step to
> > download ntrights.
>
> My README is already too "cluttered." IMO, adding
> this obvious step
> will only make it more so.

I respectfully disagree. I am very grateful for your
help and maintenance of the guide, but it took me
three days to get this thing to work. Excluding
what's "obvious" isn't the way to attract new users.
Making it idiot-proof is. Surely keeping it
"uncluttered" is not more important than attracting
new users. I can't imagine a prospective user
choosing a different product because the postgresql
installation instructions insulted his intelligence
with obvious info.

IMO, there wasn't too much information, but rather
having footnotes and omitting what's obvious made it
harder to use than if verbose information was placed
in-line. Consider me a usability tester of the
postgres cygwin setup process. I'm just offering my
feedback as a user.

Did you get my revised README? I sent it as an
attachment in a separate email. I'd like you to review
and post it if you like it, or correct it if you
don't. Again, to keep the mail archives free from
inconsistent information, I sent it only to you.

So that there's only one source of instructions, I'd
rather not just post it in a message here, but I will
if you prefer.

I wonder why these instructions are not just part of
the postgresql docs. They're really nice and that's
the first place everyone looks.