Re: Open items

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2003-10-28 15:16:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 01:09:36AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am grouping the above two items together --- I thought the idea was to
> give people a way to load 7.4 in a fairly rapid manner --- we now have
> the ability to do ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT, but it lacks ANALYZE
> statistics, so it is kind of slow --- perhaps nothing can be done about
> this. Should we try to gather some statistics before doing the ALTER
> TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT queries if no stats exist? I am not advocating it,
> but just asking. Should COPY update the row count? Would that help?

Maybe this is something to point out in the upgrading documents since
that way it seems it could be put off to the next release? It sure
sounds like a feature, and one about which there still seems to be
fair disagreement. It would indeed be nice, but it doesn't sound
like a show stopper to me if the proposal doesn't have anyone turning
up with the code to back it.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada Toronto, Ontario Canada