Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date: 2003-10-27 21:17:48
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Um, I forget whether or not this was given any credence or anyone
> > weighed in on it, but what about having two modes for psql? An
> > admin mode which hides nothing and is the default for superuser
> > connections, and a user mode which is the default for non-DBA
> > connections.
>
> I thought that would be likely to create more confusion than it
> solves.
>
> To take just one problem, the newbies who could use the "friendly
> user" mode are very likely the same ones who do all their work as
> postgres, because it hasn't occurred to them to create any
> unprivileged users. They won't get the benefit of it if we make it
> act as you suggest.

Hrm, well, two flaws with that argument being:

1) Users who (ab)use DBA accounts aren't likely the ones with
gazillions of pg_temp_* tables and probably don't even make use of
temp tables or care about pg_toast. No harm, no foul, as the
feature isn't likely used.

2) Queries that are written by a DBA and given to a user will still
work when executed by the user, so the confusion is limited to a
\command not showing the same results that a DBA sees.

Seeing extra info if your prompt is '#' and not '%' shouldn't surprise
anyone. Few complain about tab completion in shells not listing
programs that aren't readable by the current user.

eg:

% /usr/local/bin/root_only_cmd[TAB]
*system beeps, root_only_cmd_here isn't executable by $USER*
# /usr/local/bin/root_only_cmd[TAB]
# /usr/local/bin/root_only_cmd_here

-sc

--