Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2003-10-27 17:58:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Anyway, regarding certification, I was more thinking that one-to-several of
> > the current PG support vendors would develop a curriculum, and then several
> > major contributors + core group members would review & approve it. I do
> > think we need a foundation (and will have one) but for fundraising only; it's
> > important that such a foundation have no authority over the program.
>
> As a PgSQL Inc. Platinum Partner, I'd choose a PGDG approved
> Certification. We have a PostgreSQL curriculum in Turkey; but I'm pretty
> aware that an PGDG-approved one would sound better to people; with a
> ...err...signed certification from PGDG.
>
> BTW, I've been thinking of directly fundraising PGDG directly for a while
> so I'm glad to hear that we are closer to it.

How do we evaluate those classes? Is someone going to be there? We can
look at the printed curriculum, but do we know the instructor can answer
a reasonable question _not_ on the curriculum? How do we tell a company
we will _not_ cerify their course?

As you can see, this could get messy.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us