Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS selection

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS selection
Date: 2003-10-27 08:23:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Well, we don't want to use debug for non-gcc (no optimization) so do we
> do -g for gcc, and then --enable-debug does nothing. Seems people can
> decide for themselves.

But doesn't --enable-debug turn off optimization?

It's really a question of what the default behavior should be for each
option. Clearly for non-gcc compilers, the default should be -O only
since they probably can't simultaneously handle -g. But gcc builds are
an exception, one which I think is worth considering. Hence my opinion
that for gcc builds, the default should be -g and -O.

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com