Re: Call for port reports

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call for port reports
Date: 2003-10-26 01:29:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Brown wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > How does everyone like this patch? It removes -g from non-debug
> > compiles, and changes -O2 to -O for FreeBSD/Alpha.
>
> I'd be hesitant to remove -g from non-debug compiles. If something
> crashes, it's useful to be able to get a good stacktrace from the
> resulting core file. The -g option makes that possible for optimized
> code when compiling with gcc.
>
> Is there any way we can have configure put -g in when it detects gcc?

Even without -g, you still get function names in the backtrace. The
only time you don't get this is when you strip the executable. -g adds
the function line number.

configure --enable-debug will use -g for the compile, and with
optimization. We aren't changing that, we are only preventing -g by
default. Most installers are stripping the executables anyway --- this
might discourage them from doing that.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us