Re: slow select

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Medora Schauer" <mschauer(at)fairfield(dot)com>, "postgresql" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: slow select
Date: 2003-10-22 21:42:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

Medora,

> Increasing effective_cache_size to 10000 did it.

That would be 78MB RAM. If you have more than that available, you can
increase it further. Ideally, it should be about 2/3 to 3/4 of available
RAM.

>The query now
> takes 4 secs. I left random_page_cost at the default value of 4.
> I thought, mistakenly apparently, that our database was relatively
> itty bitty and so haven't messed with the .conf file.

Actually, for a itty bitty database on a fast machine, you definitely want to
lower random_page_cost. It's a large database that would make you cautious
about this.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions