Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types

From: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jpargudo(at)free(dot)fr>
To: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types
Date: 2003-10-18 08:23:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Le Friday Oct 17, 2003 at 10:10:26AM +0200, Jean-Michel POURE a écrit :
> Dear friends,
>
> I would like to port Compiere CRM from Oracle to PostgreSQL (and release it
> for free).

Hi Jean-Michel,

I did Red-Hat CCM Migration from Oracle to PostgreSQL a year ago when I
was the dba of IdealX, a french Open Source Services company in France,
you may know it. Since the job has been done for french public affairs,
I hope IdealX and this ministry did publish it GPL, I'm gonna get some
informations, I'll keep you on touch.

I do copy an Oracle production database everyday into a PostgreSQL one,
for web sites needs: production database is under Oracle, web reporting
database is on a LAPP server. (not LAMP ;-).. ).

I succeeded using oracle contrib (look at contrib/oracle or directly
to Gilles's DAROLD web at: http://www.samse.fr/GPL/).

Ora2pg is fast, simple and accurate, it handles PG schemas too, etc..

Beware of numeric(x,y) PG type, it's really slow, prefer integer
datatype. For example, translate a NUMERIC(3,2) into INTEGER. Just *100
the value, and modify client side (/100), it will be really faster (that was
the simple solution we found on another migration project at IdealX...).

[ As I told it here (http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/104/2002/5/0/8597590/)
a year ago:

« Be aware that NUMERIC(x,y) in PG is very powerfull for atypic uses, for
example (18,9) ... and not that much for other uses. That's my point of
view.»

I must admit I didnt test it from one year. So with the speed you PG
hackers work, offering each release a new *major* release (HISTORY items
growth can show this: amazing..), I think maybe this is no more true...
]

I'd like to help you in your project, since I'm Oracle/PG experimented
DBA, and I need a good CRM solution for personal and profesional
purposes.

Please tell me if my experience can help you in any way, I'd be really
glad in participating your project.

I can offer public CVS, web, etc.. for the project if you want.

Overall, I think we're both French ;-))

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO