Re: 2-phase commit

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2-phase commit
Date: 2003-10-09 20:41:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:17:28PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> Can you elaborate on "your purposes"? Do they fall into the
> "XA-compatibility" bit or the "Robustness in the face of network
> failure"?

Yes. I don't think that 2PC is a solution for robustness in face of
network failure. It's too slow, to begin with. Some sort of
multi-master system is very desirable for network failures, &c., but
I don't think anybody does active/hot standby with 2PC any more; the
performance is too bad.

I'm interested in the ability to use it for XA(ish) compatibility and
heterogenous database support. Arguments with
people-who-think-Gartner-reports-are-good-guides-for-what-to-do would
be a lot easier if I had that, to begin with.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8