Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-07 15:34:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:17:16AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > What if the feature does break compatibility with old features?
> > What if it is "truly" a new feature?
>
> There is _no_ mechanism in the community right now for testing all
> these new features in the so-called stable tree.
>
> I have lately been taking the position that Linux is only a
> second-best choice for production use, precisely because of the
> constant introduction of shiny new features in the supposed stable
> branch. Without using something like RHAS or Debian stable, I think
> one is asking for trouble. One needs to do a great deal of testing

Agreed. Great Bridge was going to test our releases and only distribute
the good ones --- obviously they were thinking of Linux kernels and not
PostgreSQL. You almost need a commercial company to do testing with
Linux kernels. PostgreSQL doesn't require this, and I think Linux is
popular _in_ _spite_ of their buggy backported kernels (odd numbers?),
not because of it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us