Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-05 14:28:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > By doing REINDEX always, we eliminate some folks are are happy
> > doing VACUUM FULL at night, because very few tuples are expired.
>
> But if they have very few tuples expired, why do they need VACUUM FULL?
> Seems to me that VACUUM FULL should be designed to cater to the case
> of significant updates.

Right, they could just run vacuum, and my 10% idea was bad because the
vacuum full would take an unpredictable amount of time to run depending
on whether it does a reindex.

One idea would be to allow VACUUM, VACUUM DATA (no reindex), and VACUUM
FULL (reindex). However, as you said, we might not need VACUUM DATA ---
I am just not sure.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us