Re: How to manipulate a cursor returned by a PL/pgSQL in a PHP script?

From: "Andrew J(dot) Kopciuch" <akopciuch(at)olympusproject(dot)org>
To: sebastien(dot)baudry(at)baudry-engineering(dot)com, Sebastien BAUDRY <sbaudry(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to manipulate a cursor returned by a PL/pgSQL in a PHP script?
Date: 2003-10-05 08:38:36
Lists: pgsql-php

On Sunday 05 October 2003 01:32, Sebastien BAUDRY wrote:
> Hi.
> My function returns a cursor and I don't know how to
> fetch the cursor in my PHP script.
> Anybody could help me?

PHP does not directly support cursors under PostgreSQL. :-(

From some quick looking on the web it seems you can hack your way around it in
PHP by using the ODBC functions (which do support cursors).

Are you porting an application from a different RDBMS (like Oracle) by any
chance?

Again from the web, I have found that one reason for the lack of cursor
support is that it is not as critical for performance (as it would be in
Oracle). Maybe the use of LIMIT and OFFSET in postgres would help you.
(Those are not supported in Oracle ... correct me if I am wrong).

Andy